NMSC - Self-Advocate Interns
Developmental Pathways is looking for Self-Advocate Interns to support our Voter Engagement Campaign. Our Self-Advocate Interns will identify ways to empower individuals with Intellectual and/or Developmental Disabilities (I/DD) around voting processes and issues. Interns should expect to use their own experiences and interests to engage people with disabilities in the voting process.
We are seeking two Self-Advocate Interns local to Douglas County and Arapahoe County. This internship will be 2-4 hours per week, Monday - Thursday, and will take place in a remote work environment but may need to attend in person meetings for specific projects. This will be a paid internship, receiving a stipend of $600.00 - $1,000.00 for the duration of the internship, ending in mid-November 2021.
Our ideal interns will have interest in at least one of the following areas: politics, social media, learning or teaching, current events, or be able to communicate their interest in this position. They will also have an interest in learning more about the voter process and engaging their community.
More about what you’ll get to do as a Self-Advocate Intern
- Help brainstorm ideas and/or be featured in social media activities geared towards voting and voter education
- Interact with various community partners as it relates to shared projects
- Be an active participant in virtual activities to get people excited about voting
- Share stories of personal voting experience with the community
- Communicate in a professional, effective, and respectful manner with persons served, supervisors, other staff, agencies, and organizations; maintain persons served confidentiality
- Communicate regularly with supervisor and others to solve issues and maintain productivity; keep supervisor well informed
- Follow agency-specific guidelines relative to Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Complete any trainings applicable to internship position
Requirements to be our Self-Advocate Intern
- Ability to use the computer to participate in virtual meetings
- Can work with supervisor to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Maintain confidentiality and assure rights are protected
- Must have access to a computer or cell phone to participate in virtual meetings and to connect with team members on projects as materials will not be provided
Job Status: Internship
Job Reference #: 36001