NMSC - Associate Director of Finance/Controller
We’re seeking a Controller who will get to direct the day-to-day operation of General Ledger accounting functions across our four separate non-profit organizations; manage the overall monthly accounting and financial statement preparation; and assist with managing all audits, annual tax filings, and other compliance reporting.
Our Controller will be based out of our Inverness office located just south of the Denver Tech Center, in Denver, CO. We’re committed to a great work-life balance here and are flexible with our 40-hour/week work schedule - the typical work week is four 10-hour days but may be flexible.
More about what you’ll get to do as our Associate Director of Finance - Controller!
- Supervise and direct the activities of our General Ledger accountants.
- Assure timely and appropriate training of staff; develop and implement training as needed.
- Monitor productivity and prioritize work activities of supervised staff to ensure they are balanced and individual requirements are met; provide technical assistance as needed.
- Evaluate and develop processes to ensure financial reporting is accurate and records are available according to agency and regulatory requirements.
- Monitor and review journal entries and other financial reports; advise and follow-up with employees as needed.
- Maintain standard accounting practices to ensure accurate and reliable data necessary for business operations; stay up to date about financial and accounting rules and regulations.
- Prepare monthly financial statements, variance analysis and other supporting schedules.
- Document and monitor internal control policies and procedures; update as needed.
- Monitor and assure financial files are maintained according to department and regulatory standards; ensure accurate and timely completion of financial documentation.
- Maintain current knowledge of Division for Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities/DIDD industry and accounting requirements.
- Assist in the development and follow through of the departments’ budget.
- Identify budgetary needs of the general ledger accounting departments and make recommendations; solicits input from team members; ensure team members are aware of budgetary goals and constraints.
$85,000 - $95,000/annually
Here are some of the excellent benefits we offer and why it's so great to work here!
- Health/dental/vision coverage
- Employer paid and supplemental life insurance
- Short- and long-term disability insurance
- Generous paid time off and holiday pay
- 401(k) investment plan, with an employer match of up to 4%
- Mileage reimbursement
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Certified Employer for Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
- Healthcare reimbursement and flexible spending plans
- Onsite gym and lounge for employee use at both office locations
- Discounts on auto and homeowners insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Credit union membership
- Employer-paid training
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance or similar area is required.
- CPA is preferred.
- Minimum of four (4) years of management and staff supervisory experience in a financial environment is required.
- Advanced knowledge of and the ability to work within various accounting programs/software/platforms, including GAAP, IRS, Division of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (DIDD) related guidelines and requirements, etc. is required.
- Thorough working knowledge of accounting principles is required
- Nonprofit experience is preferred.
- Ability to perform intermediate to advanced computer functions (Microsoft Office, required accounting programs/platforms, etc.) and requires exceptional math skills necessary to carry out job responsibilities.
- Ability to strategically develop, adapt and maintain systems to streamline processes.
- High degree of accuracy with time sensitive, detailed information along with strong organizational and prioritization skills with ability to meet regular deadlines.
- Demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Think strategically and problem solve independently and with others.
- Flexibility with work hours - which may include occasional evenings and weekends, especially during year end (fiscal year is July-June) and other auditing periods.