NMSC - Assistant Controller
Why consider NMSC - Nonprofit Management Services of Colorado - as the next place for your career as our Assistant Controller? We’re innovative, continually seeking to enhance our offerings to allow us to better tailor to the needs of our customers. Our culture is one of openness, adaptability, with a "can-do" attitude and we look for folks who hold those same traits. Our mission is to provide superior business solutions and support services to community organizations, such as our affiliate nonprofits - Developmental Pathways and Continuum of Colorado - so they can be purposeful and achieve more. We're all here at NMSC to inspire business success and strengthen communities because for us it's more than just a paycheck.
We’re seeking an Assistant Controller who will get to manage day-to-day operations of the general ledger, monthly accounting, financial statement compilation, coordinating audits, tax filings, process management, internal controls, HUD accounting, reporting, and compliance.
Our Assistant Controller will be based out of our Inverness office located just south of the Denver Tech Center, in Englewood, CO. We’re committed to a great work-life balance here and are flexible with our 40-hour/week work schedule - the typical work week is four 10-hour days but may be flexible.
More about what you’ll get to do as our Assistant Controller!
- Supervise, coach, lead, and mentor accounting staff
- Manage the day- to- day month end close including journal entries, accruals and review of department P&L's
- Review and assist staff in the reconciliation of balance sheet accounts
- Continually evaluate accounting & financial reporting and monitor processes and procedures to ensure an effective control environment
- Assist and/or manage external audits
- Assist the Controller with timely review of the company’s accounting information to identify and resolve inaccuracies or imbalances, and assist in developing/updating operational procedures
- Maintain current knowledge of HUD rules and regulations to ensure compliance
- Coordinate documentation and financial needs with HUD as needed
- Assist with recruitment, interviewing, hiring, training, corrective action(s) and/or terminations (as needed) of employees
- Make clear, consistent, transparent decisions; distinguish relevant from irrelevant information; can see connections within complex issues
- Exhibit decisiveness, analytical thinking, dependability and sound judgment in work activities makes effective decisions
- Assure timely and appropriate training of staff; develops and implements training as needed
- Problem solves staff issues; address complaints/concerns; keep Controller abreast of employee issues; ensure accurate and timely completion of related documentation
The Good Stuff - Starting Salary and Benefits!
$78,100 - $86,900/ annually
Here are some of the excellent benefits we offer and why it's so great to work here!
- Health/dental/vision coverage
- Employer paid and supplemental life insurance
- Short- and long-term disability insurance
- Generous paid time off and holiday pay
- 401(k) investment plan, with an employer match of up to 4%
- Mileage reimbursement
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Certified Employer for Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
- Healthcare reimbursement and flexible spending plans
- Onsite gym and lounge for employee use at both office locations
- Discounts on auto and homeowners insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Credit union membership
- Employer-paid training
Must haves to be our Assistant Controller!
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance or similar area is required
- A minimum of three (3) years of management and supervisory experience in a financial environment is required
- CPA preferred and ability to interpret and apply GAAP and IRS is required
- Division of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (DIDD) related guidelines is preferred & nonprofit experience preferred
- Thorough working knowledge of accounting principles is required
- HUD Experience preferred
- Ability to strategically develop, adapt and maintain systems to streamline processes
- High degree of accuracy with time sensitive, detailed information along with strong organizational and prioritization skills with ability to meet regular deadlines
- Demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills
- Think strategically and problem solve independently and with others
- Flexibility with work hours - which may include occasional evenings and weekends, especially during year end (fiscal year is July-June) and other auditing periods
- Personal vehicle in good operating condition for use during work as appropriate
- Valid Colorado driver license/proof of auto insurance
- Meet and maintain our driving requirements - no suspensions/revocations in the past 3 years and no more than 2 tickets/moving violations in the past 3 years